Re: [TCML] Q

Hello Jared,

Jared Dwarshuis wrote:
You get higher Q in both the secondary and primary by diminishing coupling.
When coupling is small there is less frequency splitting and Q rises.
Yes, but the change in Q is small with large changes in coupling. But, you are of course correct in your statement.
You can also get higher Q by operating the secondary at its characteristic
resonant frequency ( the wire length frequency)
Yes, your will. But why? Answer = because at resonance, reactance cancels (fewer losses).
Smaller top end capacitance will also increase the Q of the secondary, but
unfortunately will give a poor impedance match with less power output.
I agree. Larger top loads will decrease Q of secondary. Reason is not the AC resistance (it gets lower as the frequency lowers), but due to the L/C situation.
One wants the Q of the entire system to be low. This means that your energy
is being dissipated as sparks.
I don't fully agree here (but I understand what you are thinking) and my reasoning is partially my experience. Higher Q secondary's have got me longer sparks. But even with this, there is a balance of top load storage. When it comes down to spark production, Q is not the only product to consider. Larger top loads have greater storage capacity, but the secondary (stand alone with higher Q) will get the energy to the top load faster. If the top load is too small, it can only store so much energy. But if it's larger, it can store more energy. Higher Q secondary's simply help get the power into the top load with fewer losses in the transfer, but at a reduced voltage.

Take care,
Bart

Jared Dwarshuis