To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:18 AM
Subject: [TCML] x-ray transformer for Tesla supply

Hi all,

Has anyone on the list successfully used an x-ray transformer
anywhere near its rated output voltage to power a Tesla coil?
(operating at less than 30% of its rated output voltage doesn't
count :^). I have one friend that seems convinced that you could
make a killer coil by running the Tesla primary circuit with over
100 kV but I've always been under the impression that the in-
creased corona losses coupled with the required dramatic increase
in voltage standoff would make such a circuit impractical. Also,
the primary capacitor(s) would have to be able to withstand several
100 kVs although it's rated capacitance could be relatively small.
I'm certainly not trying to demonize x-ray trannies (the old style
60 hz ones, that is) as they absolutely ROCK! With my 150 kVp,
600 mA rated 500-600 lb unit, I can self start arcs at 12" with <
90% of its rated input voltage and 'pull out' 40" power arcs while
pulling over 120 amps through my Green Monster coil's variac and
ballast for 10 minutes at a time and the outer tank surface never
gets the slightest bit warm! Whooppee!! However, I do not believe
these transformers are practical as Tesla coil power sources. Any-
one have any other viewpoints, opposing or supporting? ;^)

David Rieben