Skin Effect Re: [TCML] Q,,question

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 16:52:39 -0000
 "Chris Swinson" <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Is this not assuming a solid wire?
   The word tube appears several times.  Hollow.

> current would be pushed to the surface yes. but AFAIK it is not the same for
> hollow tubes which have two surfaces.
   Current flows on the outside of atube.  To some extent true
   for DC (like charges repel), trivially ture for AC, more so as the freq
   rises.

>Skin effect should work on both sides of copper tube
   Otside.  There is an inside and an outside for tube.

>or flat ribbon.
   A ribbon has only an outside.

> I do not see why current would pass on a flat strips both sides but not
> both sides of a copper tube.
   Like charges repel.
   The concept of an inside and an outside to a conductor is not
   commonly taught.

   Consider, as a tubular example, a piece of coax cable.
   Whats inside (in this case) STAYS inside:
   minimal current on the outside.

   In the case under discussion: a 'typical solenoid primary'
   (or secondary, come to that) the current is applied to the outside.

   Thought will lead to experiments, which will demonstrate
   the effect.

   best
    dwp