Re: [TCML] x-ray transformer for Tesla supply

Hi, I dont have a big xray tranny however i did work with some high voltage
for a while in a laboratory. and first problem comes to mind is corona(not
the one you drink!).....at 30 kv it starts to make tiny pinholes everywhere
and the uv and ozone tends to destroy the insulation....every sharp corner,
bend, or sharp point becomes a hissing nightmare at 60 kv....and the
capacitors are extremely expensive if they will survive at all..
these were power supplys for ion particle accelerators and top voltage was
around 120 kv.....at 2 amps.....eventually they were built by a high voltage
lab and ran everything possible under some kind of silicon oil or
simular...and built right next to the accelerator tubes, some acutally
mounted on top of the tube.....i never saw the finnished product, but we had
every concievable problem you could have getting to 120 kv......including
fire.......the main section of this monster had 6 of these power
supplys.....
ask for a quote on say a 250 kv cap to go on a xray transformer from Atomic
Energy......you will get sticker price shock!
i often wundered if you took some of the secondary off say down to 60 kv you
probably could work with that. cul brian f.

      www.genapro.com