RE: [TCML] pole xfmr (getting one, prices, etc.)

Hi Jim:

No argument there; It's certainly true that it won't
work for everybody, but then I doubt if most people
even bother asking, either!  I wouldn't think of
paying for shipping on one of these until I'd called
around locally and been totally blown off and/or hung
up on.  Two of the three I called *have* sold to me,
one very regularly.  However I also took the time to
formulate a semi-plausible, non-Tesla-Coil-related
reason for wanting junked transformers and also took
the time to learn enough of the terminology around
them so that I could present my very broad interest in
great detail.  In the end, I'd effectively described
just about any HV transformer, but if I'd said *that*
I'd probably have heard a click and a dial tone ;-)

Regarding transformer recycling and rebuilding:  Those
places which do contract out disposal and recycling of
transformers might do so only for oil-filled units, as
is the case for one of the two I've dealt with.
Recycling the smaller, dry-type potential transformers
seems to be less usual, so if you do go asking around
and are interested in both types, be sure to indicate
that (again, in whatever manner is least likely to
brand you an idiot).  They may be willing to sell
potential transformers even if contracts forbid the
sale of "pole pigs".

I would finish by saying that utility salvage yards
aren't just about transformers either!  If your
interests include insulators, cut-outs, lightning
arresters, capacitors, etc., you may even have better
luck than in your search for transformers.  One of my
salvage yard contacts actually emailed me and another
local coiler when a bunch of 400lb, foot-wide,
four-foot-tall 115kV coupling capacitors arrived.
They were prepared to do anything to get us to remove
all of them, and ultimately we hauled away six of them
for $25 each.  What they must have cost new!!  Still
haven't figured out what to do with caps, but the
ceramic sure is pretty :-)

Not everybody will be as lucky with their local
electric companies, but then if you can't be bothered
to even call them and explain in a thoughtful
fashion(rehearsed is ok, too ;-)) what it is that
you're interested in, you probably have no business
buying any of this stuff anyway.  When you've called
around and been totally shut out, then you can say,
"It didn't work for me."  But suggesting that it's
universally fruitless is not too helpful!

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE