Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 7:54 PM
Subject: RE: [TCML] Q,,question

I don't agree that stranded welding cable is comparable to Litz wire, or a good choice for a primary. In common stranded wire, every strand is electrically in contact with the adjacent strands. Due to skin effect, if current is flowing through a strand on the interior of the bundle, it will want to flow outward to the outermost strands. But to do so, the current must pass through the surface of each intervening strand, subject to surface oxidation and resistance. As bundles are generally comprised of multiple twists, this may result in many trips through surface oxidation, incurring significant losses. That's the reason that Litz wire must be made of insulated strands - to keep current from hopping between adjacent strands.

I performed extensive testing and comparisons between various primary conductors - Litz, stranded, solid, and ribbon. See http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/primary_resistance.htm. I tested only AC resistance, as opposed to actual performance in a Tesla coil. While not 100% conclusive, I believe the data supports my previous paragraph. Relating to the value of Litz wire, it's important to note that the Litz wire I used was comprised of strands thicker than what is recommended for the upper end of the frequency spectrum that I measured AC resistance at. At below 100KHz, my Litz was the hands-down winner.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA