RE: [TCML] De-potting NSTs? ? ? Dialectric success

Hello,

I un-potted a France 12/30 that was old and the tar was cracked and
internally arcing. After freezing it, barbequing it, than soaking the mess
in gasoline (not recommended). I came out with a very clean transformer. I
let it sit in the sun a couple days on a newspaper.

I removed half the shunts on both sides counting them. I then found a
suitable Tupperware container (PE) and cut an acrylic top that fit nicely to
a lip near the top inside the vessel.

For my dielectric, I bought a couple boxes of paraffin and 4 large size
white petroleum jelly containers and carefully melted them together on the
stove.

While this was in progress, I preheated the core in the oven on low.

I poured the molten solution onto the transformer in the tub tapping on it
to dislodge any small bubbles. I am confident the winding and laminations
were well permeated. After a few hours of cooling, I then melted a couple of
white taper candles( they are the firmest of waxes) and toped it off with
that. The acrylic was connected to the low and HV and center tap with
smallish feed-though insulators.

I haven't measured the line current but it has a hot arc easily like that of
a 12/60 or more. I plan to use it for winter in house fun. It has handles,
is relatively lite, and is easy to carry around!

...A nice break from my engine crane and big iron :-)

Jim