Re: [TCML] Another NST question

Yeah, like I mentioned earlier, I forgot about the center taps. So, "theoretically", even if one were to go through the trouble of opening up an nst and disconnecting the tap, one nst would quickly fry itself.

But back to the second half of your reply. I understand that when used for their intended purpose, there's the initial peak voltage that quickly drops down to an operating level. But when we're cranking out the voltage for a coil, the voltage stays up there, doesn't it? Even potentially exceeding the rated voltage if someone gets over anxious. I've fried several nst's in the past, so I can attest to that :( Now I'm much more conservative in feeding them, generally not exceeding 75-80% with the variac.

Neal.

No, don't series them. They will fail. Not designed for this abuse. They are really designed to put out 12 kV for a few milliseconds to ionize the tube gas, then drop back to around 600 volts and supply a constant current of 30 or 60 mA.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corp.
www.resonanceresearch.com