Re: [TCML] Re: Spark Gap Resistance

Hi Dave,

0.65 ohms is not low, it's very high! Look at I^2R across all four gaps for 2.9 MW per gap! Bert attributed the possible high values to the impedances of the gap between all 4 series connections which is really the only other place to attribute such a large loss. I have my doubts on the accuracy of the 0.65 ohm value because it just seems too high even with the impedances of the rotary between the 4 gaps (because I expect Greg would have made those areas very robust).

I personally would expect total gap resistance in the range of 0.1 to 0.2 ohms for the 4 total gaps.

The 0.65 ohms value might be accurate, but if it is, then losses are likely in the impedances of the rotary and they are very significant.

Take care,
Bart

David N. Van Doren wrote:
Greg
.65 ohms for a spark gap seems very low. But then again that is an unusualy large coil, with a
 very large cap and charge voltage. I don't think this is very representitive of the average coil tho.
Such a low gap impedence must be a result of such high currents and large amouts of ohmic heating of the plasma in the gap reducing it's resistance.
You also reference silicon switches used in your 90L10K prototype coil, having an effective impedance of 5milli ohms. Just what were these switches?

Thanks
Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx