Re: [TCML] Re: Spark gap Resistance

Hi Greg,

When you increased the primary impedance on the system, were there energy transfer measurements made before and after? For quite a while now, I've considered the secondary's ability to do something with the energy provided is what determines what the impedance of the primary needs to be for best efficiency of the system.

It appears to me that by increasing the primary impedance, you've given the secondary the time to do something with that energy. This in turn results in less recursive energy flows and greater efficiency in the primary and secondary circuits.

Take care,
Bart

Given that the operating Zpri was 5.3ohm, one might imagine that this system would nominally work, as it did, although with considerable gap losses. The design improvements made in 1998 [increasing Zpri to 14ohm, larger toroid] actually increased the arc performance while reducing the maximum wall-plug draw down to about 25kW. The rotary gap can now operate steady-state without significant heating, as the peak currents are now only about 2500A. GL