Re: [TCML] solenoid primary coupling, in house coil

I use JAVATC for all new designs.  It is very accurate especially with
regard to k values.  You can run a design, find coeff. of coupling, and
then move either the inner primary radius out, or the first turn of the
base of sec coil upwards to adjust k to the best value.

It also allows initial pri tap setting usually within 1/4 turn so no
guessing is required.

You can also experiment with different cap values to set your preferred
primary turns.  I usually shoot for 8-12 turns on a small coil and 5-7
turns on a larger coil (above 5 kVA).

we use JAVATC for the initial design, then set our primary tap using a sig
generator and o-scope.  With this technique you get excellent accuracy and
tuning under power is a very minimal adjustment.

Bart did an excellent job on his latest version.

Happy holiday sparks,

Dr. Resonance

> Hi Jim,
>
> Version 10 and above will be very different than 9.1. The old versions
> were simple Wheeler and Medhurst calculations. Pretty much what can be
> done in a spreadsheet.
>
> The latest version 11.3 will use radius inputs (due to running various
> coil geometry). It will also run slower due to the Geotc file which
> performs all the high end algorithms. It really helps to use a fast pc
> and IE6 or Firefox browsers (I like Firefox myself). There is a message
> the browser itself will give during a run (script running too long).
> This occurs after 5 million iterations. There's a link on my Application
> Notes page on how to stop that annoying error. It's written into the
> browser, so nothing I can do except to help people set their browsers to
> allow longer iterations. The reason they do this is to prevent scripts
> from locking up the browser if it's stuck in a loop.
>
> It takes some patience, but the accuracy between the old and new
> programs are night and day. The code is not compiled and really needs to
> be. This is why it runs slow.
>
> Take care,
> Bart
>

> Jim Mora wrote:
>> Hi Barton,
>>
>> I certainly received a reply from the person who knows how to interrupt
>> the
>> JavaTC run data :-)
>>
>> Thanks Much,
>> I'll start using the current version and setup for k=.13 .
>> Jim

Dr. Resonance