Re: [TCML] first light disaster

I do not understand the significance of the gap across the NST, Therefore I did not incorporate this feature.

Thank you very much,

Marko"

A safety gap would be an auxilliary spark gap connected either between the two HV terminals of the NST or two separate gaps, one from each terminal to ground. If the gaps are set to "just fire" with normal primary voltage on the transformer and no other load then they will keep the output voltage from ever rising above the normal open-circuit value, protecting both the transformer and any external capacitor load from excess voltage due to series resonance between the capacitor and the leakage reactance of the transformer. Without such protection and depending on the actual leakage reactance and capacitive reactance the output voltage can rise to several times the normal voltage unless the insulation of the transformer or capacitor fails first.

Ed