Re: [TCML] Strike rings - to use or not to use

Yes, it will deter pri strikes.  We use a 1/8 inch thick piece of
plexiglass on our smaller coils.  Be sure to leave a 1/4 inch gap between
inner edge of plexiglass and sec coil to discourage high freq "tracking".
A small airgap is sufficient.

Another way to stop primary strikes as follows:

Make up three small metal stands (can even be as simple as a stiff coat
hanger wire) fastened to a small piece of board 3 x 3 inches.  Space them
at 120 degrees around the coil and approx 1-2 inches outside of the pri
coil.  I use small bananna plugs and receptacles to make they quick setup
plug-in for the ground wire which is just some scrap 12-14 AWG wire that
connects from metal vertical piece to the next one.

I usually leave the sharp end of the coat hanger wire long enough so that
it extends approx 1 to 1.5 inches above the horizontal plane of the
primary.

I call it a "spark catcher" and it works great --- no more direct pri
strikes and it sets up and tears down in under a minute.  I made one once
with a simple telescoping metal wand (from some old Walmart toy) that
allowed me to telescope it up and down to match small and medium size
coils.

For our large coils, such as the Big Bruiser, we use metal stands that are
approx 4 feet tall, set outside the primary approx 24 inches, and also use
bananna receptacles to interconnect.

In this method you do not have to permanently mount any primary grounded
strike rail on the coils upper sub-base.  You just set them around the
coil and plug them in.  Experiment to see how far away from the pri they
work best.

Another problem with sub-base mounted strike rails is, if you happen to
tap in too far on the primary leaving 4-5 turns outside of the pri tap,
then you see vastly increased potential from the outer end of pri to
ground (Q factor multiplication of potential almost like a tiertiary or
extra coil).

The "spark catcher" solution works well, and is easy to construct and set
up.  Bare welding rod also works excellent for smaller coils.  It is long
and stiff.  I just use 3 x 3 inch plywood for the base pieces.

Dr. Resonance