Re: static spark gaps

Original poster: Slurp812 <slurp812@xxxxxxxxx>

I am going to use some bolts from a shipping crate, they have BIG
heads. SO in my case a lot of surface area. And a huge 110 vac fan
with a duct for lots of cooling. I did some testing with just the cap
NST and spark gap and it seems to quench well. but I am a newbie, so
stay tuned for much more technical discussion on this matter :)

Original poster: Neal Namowicz <mr_neal@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi guys,
I've got a couple questions re: static spark gaps. First, what difference does
it make regarding how much surface area is exposed for the gap? Specifically,
which is better, less or more? Also, can a ssg be "over" quenched? At the
moment I'm using a blower that was scavenged from an old air-hockey table.
Should I use a dimmer switch to vary the speed, since it does seem to move a
lot of air? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Neal.