Re: 25 kV PT

Hi DC,

Assuming the PT's in question can have one of their HV bushings grounded, then I see no problem. Since they are identical, their secondaries are most certainly wound the same direction. If one were to reverse the LV connection to one of the PTs then when one PT HV bushing goes positive, the other will go negative and you end up with 50KV between the two ungrounded HV bushings of the two PT's. The maximum voltage anywhere is 25KV with respect to ground so neither PT sees the 50KV.

I think the real question is can the PT have one of its HV bushings grounded and if so, which one.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

If he uses two similar xmfrs with both coils wound in the same direction both xmfrs will hit a peak of 25 kV at the same time while they are at 0 potential on the opposite 1/2 cycle swing. With AC he will only see 25 kV to ground and will not see the 50 kV peak to peak he is trying to obtain.

Maybe I missed something here but I don't think this will work as he is planning to use them to develop 50 kV peak to peak between the outputs.

If he had two coils wound in opposite directions and tried to operate them in epoxy there is a very high proabability they would fail. Operation above 25 kV produces high corona content and all xmfrs that I know use oil instead of epoxy for these high voltages.