Re: Newcomer

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx In a message dated 2/4/07 12:33:38 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Jim

Welcome to the list.  At my website I show my TT-42 coil which
uses a 12/30 NST and gives 42" sparks.  The coil uses a
0.014uF capacitor, a synchronous rotary gap, and a 4" x 13"
spun aluminum toroid.  The primary is made from about 20 turns
of 10awg insulated telephone company ground wire (grey), close-
wound.  The coil is taped at about the 14th turn I think.  The
secondary is 4.2" dia (pvc pipe) x 19" tall wound with 28awg magnet wire.
The primary is wound flat onto a round piece of clear polycarbonate,
and held in place with 6 phenolic clamps.  The secondary can
be removed easily for tranporting the coil.  The secondary simply
lifts out of a socket.  It is grounded through a screw at the bottom
of the socket.  The wooden peg at the bottom of the secondary
seats into this socket.  Although I used a 12/30 NST, this happens
to be a robust NST.  Typically a 15/30 NST would be needed to
achieve the 42" sparks on this coil.  Using a static gap gives
about 38" sparks.  I recommend using a static gap at least
at first when building a coil.  The sync rotary uses a 5.25  dia
rotor made of phenolic with steel nuts and bolts as electrodes.
A copper ring joins the electrodes electrically.  The fixed electrodes
are copper and are set into aluminum holders.  The rotary base is
made of wood (oak).  The coil uses three wooden legs to hold up
the primary in a sort of suspended floating arrangement above
the NST, rotary, and capacitor.

  <http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html>http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html

I show some other items too at my site including vacuum tube
tesla coils, other rotary spark gaps, etc.

John
--

Original poster: Jim <branley1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Gentleman:

My son and I would like to build a tesla coil with a 15,000V, 450VA,
30MA neon sign transformer. Does anyone have a material list that we
can use to assist us in our scavenger hunt? Also any pearls of wisdom
would be greatly appreciated. I have been on this mailing list for a
few days and have been reading the posts and have found them to be
highly invaluable.

Thank You!

Jim