Re: 25 kV PT

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>
I have 2 25 kV PT's like these:
http://geindustrial.com/products/specs/pt62125.pdf
Has anyone ever grounded one leg of a PT before? I
know lots of folks have done this with their pigs
(myself included). I'd like to run them in series for
50 kV out, but would hate to kill them.
thanks
Adam

Hi Adam,

It looks as though the insulation system for this transformer family should be able to operate at full voltage with one bushing at ground. A "one ear" version of a PT that's similar to yours (but 24 kV/200:1 ratio) can be seen here:

http://geindustrial.com/products/specs/pt61125.pdf

The insulation system for the above transformer is rated for continuous 25.5 kV operation (24 kV nominal) with H2 grounded. It may be worth giving the GE folks a call to determine if H2 is nearest the core for the particular model you have. If so, it certainly looks like a pair of these PT's should safely provide 50 kV with the midpoint grounded. Nice transformers!

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured