Re: Newcomer

Original poster: G Hunter <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: Jim <branley1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Thanks for the advice. It sounds like cheap
> solutions for someone
> cheap like myself. I like the "beer bottles with
> salt water in white
> poly bucket." What is the science behind this?

A capacitor is simply two conductive plates separated
by an insulator.  In the beer bottle & bucket cap, the
beer bottle serves as the dielectric, and salt water
serves as the conductive plates.  The bottle is filled
with saltwater and an electrical connection is made
through the mouth of said bottle.  The saltwater
filling is the interior "plate".  The bottle sits in a
bucket of saltwater which serves as the outer "plate".
 A single 12-oz beer bottle is only good for about
750-900pF.  However, a 6-pack of bottles wired in
parallel will yield about 5nF, which is an acceptable
cap size for a 15kv/30ma NST.  Seven bottles will pack
very neatly into a hexagon, yielding nearly 6nF.

The bucket isn't mandatory.  You can coat the bottles
with kitchen foil and plug them with plastic champagne
stoppers to prevent spills, resulting in a "dry"
saltwater cap.  You don't have to use beer bottles
either.  The first generation of my "junk box coil"
(see links) used four, 750ml wine bottles in parallel
driven by a single 15kv/30ma

http://hot-streamer.com/greg/junkbox1.htm
http://hot-streamer.com/greg/bottom.htm

NST power supply.  It worked pretty well for a first
effort--and it was cheap.  Likewise, wine cooler
bottles come with nice threaded plastic caps for easy,
watertight assembly.

Cheers,

Greg

Never miss an email again!