From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 8:13 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: synchronous motor

Hi Anthony,

You need to identify which one is the main winding and the start
winding. The main winding probably uses a larger gauge wire then the
start winding.

All the motors I have looked at have the main winding connected to
line_hot and line_neutral (no switch other than perhaps an ON/OFF
switch) directly. The wiring for the start coil is from line_hot, to
a start switch, to the start cap, to the start_winding, and
terminates on line_neutral.  Of course the order of the switch, cap,
and start winding is probably a don't care. My guess is that the two
black wires are common and connected to line_neutral.  The dark red
wire is associated with the start winding and the normal red wire is
associated with the main winding.  These guesses, of course, needs to
be verified.

Gerry R.

>Original poster: "Anthony R. Mollner" <penny831@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Dear Ed and the group, any help on wiring this motor would help
>tremendously. I have checked out the resistance on the windings and
examined
>it in more detail. It has two pairs or wires. One pair of Dark Red and
Black
>and the other pair of normal red and black. When I did a resistance check,
>found that they are separate from each other. The starter capacitor lead
are
>connected across both coil windings although I do not have a capacitor at
>this time to add to it. Can anyone tell me how these are to be wired?
Thanks