Concentric spheres- an hypothesis

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

David Thomson's mention of John Freau's concentric spheres, in "Magnetically controlled spark gap for Wireless Transmitter" posted yesterday, piqued my interest. In case it hasn't been analyzed before, here's Herrick's Hypothesis as to how they work:

The inner sphere is connected to the top of the coil; the outer sphere "floats". The capacitance between the two spheres is much larger than the capacitance to space from the outer sphere. Thus, as the charge on the inner sphere builds up during a cycle, the charge on the outer one will also, to almost the same degree, through the capacitive reactance. But the radius of curvature of the inner sphere is (necessarily) smaller than that of the outer one. Absent the shielding effect of the outer sphere, the inner one would break out first.

At the instant the outer sphere starts to break out (to space), its potential diminishes, and the inner sphere--already with a charge on it exceeding its capability absent the shielding--breaks out to the inner surface of the outer sphere. Then, again instantly, all the charge on the inner sphere becomes transferred to the outer surface of the outer sphere--since like charges repel and thus "strive" to occupy the surface that allows them to be the furthest apart.

The outer sphere's surface then contains charge substantially in excess of that required for breakout and the incipient spark is thereby substantially given a double whammy, so to speak (and thanks for that to cartoonist Al Capp of fond memory). What we have here is nothing less than an >>electrostatic magnifier<<.

One could even imagine three concentric spheres, the outer two floating, giving a triple whammy. It does seem to me that concentric-surface configurations might well become the electrodes of choice in the future. And in fact, they might not need to be spherical: concentric toroids might do it--either one within the other or one surrounding the other. Or a ring of spheres surrounding a toroid or another sphere, for instance.

When & if I get my latest (and last!) configuration going, I shall check it out for sure.

Does this seem plausible?

And the above reminds me of the conjecture I'd posted some time ago. Conventional wisdom says that sparks from a disruptive coil tend to be longer than those from a solid-state coil, other characteristics of the coils being comparable. I conjectured that that was because of the differing rise times of the drives from the secondary: the energy into the top load is delivered during the first cycle or two in the disruptive coil while that delivered by the solid-state coil occurs over many more cycles. Thus, for breakout from the same top load, the voltage rise-times must be substantially different. The spark requires time to break out; I found a reference that indicates that a spark takes around 50 ns per inch to propagate in air. If during such time the voltage rises higher in the one case, then the spark should become longer.

So what think you of that?

Ken Herrick