Re: My single 833A vttc -- first light!

Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes"
> <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Brett - Wow!  You've made some real quick progress!
> I'll be really interested to hear how those Yish
> caps
> go.  Do they get pretty warm?  The price is
> certainly
> right; I was planning on using them for my VTTC if a
> suitable mica doesn't turn up by the time I've got
> all
> the rest of my parts.

Well, the Yish's I have on the bypass and grid leak
circuits don't seem to heat up, but the tank caps
seems slightly warm to the touch just following a
minute or so run.  However I can't help wondering if
that is just due to their close proximity to the tube.
 Nevertheless, the spark output seems to drop off a
bit after the coil has been running a while.  I still
think I may be up to two turns out of tune on the
primary, so the losses could be in many
places...equally likely to be due to the fact I am
still using only 50 watt grid leak resistors.
Hopefully finds at the ham fest will fix many things.
I am happy with the sparks, but I would like the plate
to run a bit less orange at 130v on the variac.

-Brett