Re: synchronous motor

Hi Anthony,

You might try to measure the resistance of the two winding. If both windings are the same guage and the same resistance, it might not matter which one you use for the start winding. Leaving them on all the time may harm the start capacitor. I dont think they would fight each other since one has a different phase from the other (due to the capacitor) and syncing is not an issue unless you modify the motor for sync operation. If you experiment with the windings, you may want to fire up the motor for a very short time, power down, and see if the windings are getting warm. Repeat this for progressively longer times until you are satisfied the motor is running properly. If you suspect it is not right, you may want to swap the two windings and try again.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Anthony R. Mollner" <penny831@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

They both seem about the same gage wire but I could run the starter one way
and than vice versa. What would happen if I left both windings on? Would
they fight each other or just not synch. up?