Re: tungsten anyone? (Thoriated vs straight tungsten)

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Tony -

Exactly what "increased electrical properties" does thoriated
tungsten offer, relative to "straight" tungsten?
Well, for welding, the helium ions emitted(or alpha particles, if you prefer) help the spark initiate. As for Tesla coils, I honestly don't think they would help. I would seem to me that they could possibly hinder quenching unless used in a rotary gap, in which case they might be good. If you are hoping to be able to machine them for any reason, The thoriated rods are more easily machined. I asked the rep that question thinking having them threaded might be useful for rotor gaps or for instertion into a heat sink/primary circuit connector. The rods they have containing lanthanide elements are also more easily machined than pure tungsten as well, and in my book would be a better choice, depending on the price, of course.
Mike

<http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylc=X3oDMTFvbGNhMGE3BF9TAzM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx?link=ask&sid=396545367>Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate in the <http://answers.yahoo.com/dir/index;_ylc=X3oDMTFvbGNhMGE3BF9TAzM5NjU0NTEwOARfcwMzOTY1NDUxMDMEc2VjA21haWxfdGFnbGluZQRzbGsDbWFpbF90YWcx?link=ask&sid=396545367>Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.