Piranha II tuning (was: Re: Dual MOT plans - PIRANHA)

Original poster: "Daniel Kline" <daniel_kline@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

You would just change it to use "one" of Mark's boards and it would use a lower input voltage and current. All the component values are the same but the caps probably don't need very high current ratings for just one board. With its ball terminal toroid (which works fine*) and PIRANHA-II electronics, it is probably one of the most advanced Tesla coils on Earth.

Great information! The only thing I don't understand is how the tuning works...is the cap-bank frequency independent?

What I think I would normally have to do is to consider my capacitance as a fixed value and design a matching primary, so that the cap/primary Fres would compliment my secondary's Fres. Since I'm only after 18" max, I wouldn't want to have a 3-foot-tall secondary, but rather something more proportional to the spark length. Is there room in the design for different primary/secondary configurations?

Finn's triggered single brick BRISG is a "stunningly" wonderful machine too!!

Ack. I can't find a schematic for that.

Those 16kV 750mA  AMI3347 diodes RULE!!

Right on :-)

Thanks,