Re: Duty cycle of OBIT?

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx In a message dated 2/15/07 3:43:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi Matt and Jon,

Just because the application has low duty cycle, doesn't mean the
transformer is not robust.  I would think knowing how its built could
shed some lite on this.  Is the xformer packed in tar?? or open air,
etc.  I don't have any experience with these so I just wonder :-))

Gerry R

Hi Gerry,

    In my experience, the only times  devices are built beyond the
minimum physical standards needed to accomplish the job are:

1) Mil-spec
2) Custom design
3) Amateur built

Since 99.99% of OBITs do not fall into any of these categories,
I believe my evaluation was reasonably accurate.

Saying OBITs are not as robust as NSTs means that if you
picked say, 200 OBITs and 200 NSTs at random and subjected
all of them to the same TC stresses, the mean time to failure
of the NSTs would be longer than the mean time to failure of the
OBITs. Any one OBIT may perform as well as, or better than,
any one NST, it's just that the odds do not favor this outcome.

Matt D.