Re: Inductance and the acceleration of charge

I recommend that anyone seriously interested in calculating inductance get a copy of the book by Frederick Grover, Inductance Calculations: Working Formulas and Tables, Dover Publications, Inc., New York 1946. Used copies are still available if you dig around. A lot of the material here is about the same as in the much older BS C74 and is in more convenient form. There is a useful procedure for calculating inductance in a letter from Richard Lundin in the PROC. IEEE, V75 #9, 9/85, PP1428-1429. Claimed to be accurate to about 3 ppm for solenoids of any form factor. If anyone is really seriously interested I can send him an Excel worksheet which compares several different familiar inductance formulae to the values given by Lundin's expressions.

Wheeler's two formula are still plenty accurate for any hobby work that I can think of.

Ed