Limit on coil size

Original poster: Dave Leddon <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>

I attended a most inspiring talk given by Greg Leyh last night in San Francisco in which he showed a documentary video detailing the construction of his Electrum coil (I sure would like to have a copy of that, Greg) followed by a discussion of his plans to construct a lightning laboratory in Nevada. He mentioned that there is a physical limit to the size of a Tesla coil beyond which it cannot produce an arc due to the frequency being too low to sustain a continuous stream of ions. I believe he said that an ion would extinguish before the next one could be generated. Does anyone have an idea how to determine this minimum frequency?

Dave
Pleasanton, Ca