From: Jim Mora [mailto:jmora@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 6:43 PM
To: 'Tesla list'
Subject: Unpotting a France 12/30

Hello,

I have a couple of France 12/30?s. I want to un-pot one of them (some of the tar is cracked and likely leaky) and remove a few shunts to make a cap charger with a 5x multiplier. A newer 15/60 works just fine with some serious humming? fast and weighs three times the France! I am wondering if I can keep the France in the original tank and carefully heat it in a gas powered BBQ. Ideally, I would like to pour molten tar out and soak the tranny in diesel, or gasoline to dissolve the rest. I guess I will have to remove the core to knock out some shunts and hopefully be able to reconnect the HV bushings.

If I can leave it in the original tank, I would melt some paraffin and Vaseline together and repot it in that. Hopefully I can squeeze 40 or 50 ma out of it and current limit the cap input which would likely be just right. I know this is a well covered thread; but, has anyone successfully done this using a similar method? I would be open to mineral oil which probably sinks away the heat better, but the on time should be no more than a couple minutes.

Thanks Much,
Jim Mora