Re: Impedance, Mechanical, Electrical

I tend to think of charge as a product of stored energy, not the stored energy itself. But, the term charge as used with a cap or battery is a term without narrow scope. The term doesn't always indicate the value of charge, but the fact that the cap or battery has been "charged" or "discharged", which indicates an energy capacity or lack of. The terms meaning is derived from the description of the topic being discussed. It's not the only term that is used loosely. It's good state the generalization form time to time so there is an overall understanding.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

The way I look at it is caps store both energy and charge. As your equation below points out, one is related to the other.

Gerry R

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

> Of course, that may confuse them even more, since
> we're all taught by "expert" books and professors that
> a cap stores "charge".
    What, then, does  a cap store?

     best
       dwp
Lesse............   if I recall   C = Q/V     and  E  - 1/2 CV^2

so wouldn't  E =  1/2 (Q/V) *V^2   or  cancelling V/V,

E = 1/2 Q*V    ??
Mike

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
<http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/;_ylc=X3oDMTE4MGw4Z2hlBF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDZ3JlZW5jZW50ZXI->Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos' Green Center.