Xfrms

Original poster: Crystal Clear Solutions <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I rewound my own transformer for an electronics application: 120v primary, 75v secondary and 10v secondary (CT). I am sure you are referring to a high voltage transformer for HV experiments (Tesla coils as an example). I guess the simple answer is that it is either difficult or expensive to come across the laminations you would need to make the transformer. If you don't do it correctly you will lose a lot of power in eddy current loses. If you don't have enough cross-sectional area you will saturate the core and it won't generate the output and the primary will burn up from too high a current draw.

jonathan