RE: magnetrons as diodes

I know relatively little about tube technology, so I may well be wrong, but I don't see why not.  If you use the original microwave oven transformer, you can use the filament winding to heat the cathode like in the original configuration, and the case would be the anode of the diode.  If the magnets were removed, I don't think the cavities inside would resonate, so I don't think microwaves would be produced.  Always good to check though.  I don't know what the working voltages would be though.  As I said, I know very little about tube technology, so I'm not sure what the minimum forward bias would be, but I think the maximum voltage across it would be limited only by internal arcing between the cathode and case.  This could be measured by applying increasing voltages from the cathode to case until it started conducting (ie, an arc forms).  This might damage the magnetron tube though if there's some insulating material in the path.  If I'm not conclusively proven wrong by someone else here, I plan to try this soon.  I just finished disassembling a microwave oven and (with some difficulty, as I only had some small pliers) the magnetron.  If I try it before you do, I'll let you know how it works.

Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla list [ mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Mon 1/1/2007 8:17 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: magnetrons as diodes

Original poster: Frosty <frosty90@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Everyone,
I havnt really posted anything on the list before but i have been
reading it for a while,
I was just wondering if the magnetrons out of microwave ovens could
be used as HV diodes, if you removed the magnets to stop microwave
generation. and used the filament winding on a MOT for filament power.
If any on has tried this before i would love to know....i supose they
would quickly overheat though?
I was thinking it would be a good alternative to HV silicone diodes
in a voltage doubler circuit (for a dual MOT supply----it keeps
blowing diodes),
Any comments much apreciated,
Jesse Frost