Re: Wire Length

Original poster: "Gary Peterson" <g.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

We know that Tesla was using the flat spiral coil as a spread-spectrum wireless transmitter.
We do?

Ed,

Are you questioning whether Tesla was using the oscillator as a wireless transmitter, or whether it was part of a secure wireless system that depended upon the conjoint action of two differently tuned RF circuits, both located at the receiving end, and functioning as an AND logic gate?

> . . . Tesla . . . is apparently referring to the two
different frequencies which can be produced while the primary is being excited.

Tesla is referring to the two different frequencies that can be produced, one when the primary is being excited and the other when the primary circuit is open.

"This coil I excited by a primary so proportioned
that when the primary was closed by the make-
and-break disk which discharged the condensers,
the oscillations in the secondary were quickened
much above the rate which the secondary or spiral
vibrated when the primary was opened."

Responding to this post gives me a sense of déjà vu.

Gary Peterson
Twenty First Century Books
www.teslaradio.com
www.teslabooks.com
www.teslascience.org

We know that Tesla was using the flat spiral coil as a spread-spectrum wireless transmitter. He may have increased the spacing of the inner turns in order to facilitate the occurance of harmonics."

We do? The description here would appear to be a of a regular two-circuit Tesla coil and he is apparently referring to the two different frequencies which can be produced while the primary is being excited. It would be interesting to see how he would calculate them, based on his statement about radily calculated. I haven't seen any discussion of the topic at that early date although it was certainly well known within a few years.