Re: Fw: Tesla List - Micro Wave Oven Transformers

Original poster: "Drake Schutt" <drake89@xxxxxxxxx>

All the more reason to come here for vacation! :^)

On 1/8/07, Tesla list <<mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "James Howells" <<mailto:james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks for the reply : yes I wanted to know how
to calculate what ballast I need ( what value of L )

I do not know what a  LC R is
I have some Fluorescent lamp ballasts but I think these will be TOO small
( they have MARKINGS of 50w A 0.67N AND LAMBDA 0.48)
I would be prepared to make or buy the chokes (
ballasts) IF I KNEW HOW TO CALCULATE WHAT I NEEDED.
Dr R. gave me a practical solution:  for which I
am most grateful- (3ft of PVC pipe filled with
steel chips, and then a winding of 400 turns - I
have the laminates from a big transformer so this
should be suitable as it should be  high silicon steel) .
Just a note on the cost of things here ( my
Brother is in Vacaville Ca. so I get some
feedback from him) Roughly everything in the UK
is the same price as in the USA except in
Pounds  not dollars; and so, in real terms, twice as expensive

All the more reason to come here for vacation! ;^)

Snip.....

regards,
Drake Schutt