Re: Coil form material - Q-killer?

Original poster: "Gav D" <gdingley@xxxxxxxxx>

Terry,
thanks for the link, looks allot more complicated than I thought,
another random mechanism that makes it work so well in the garage, and
then does barely anything when you take it to a Teslathon.

I have not read the link properly yet, but was a ground plane used to
distribute the self-capacity of the coils measured?

I have sent copies of the Medhurst and the Wheeler skin-effect papers
to those who showed an interest in them, if anyone else wants a copy
let me know, they are 370kb and 1Mb respectively; I'll send them as a
reply attachment independently.

Cheers,

Gavin

Original poster: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 12:07 AM 1/10/2007, you wrote:
>Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>At 05:56 PM 1/9/2007, you wrote:
>>Original poster: "Gav D" <gdingley@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>>Hi Ed, Jim, Mike
>>thanks for that information, I will alter my PSpice simulation
>>accordingly. Were either of you able to measure the Q directly, i.e.
>>before breakout occurs during operation? I have attempted this by
>>recording the waveform digitally and performing an FFT, but I think in
>>the end I was just testing the effectiveness of the FFT! I should
>>resort to more analogue methods, and suggestions/ideas?
>

>Terry did some of those measurements, gosh, 5-10 years ago.  He put
>a secondary out in the garage and pinged it with an impulse and
>digitized the waveform to measure Q variations with temperature and
>humidity.  Maybe he'll pipe up with a pointer to the data.

Hi,

Here is the link,

http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/qvar070402/

Cheers,