Re: electromagnetic shielding components

Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

That is just it- the whole insides are removable, but in the only possible position - due to room.

So, would putting a metal sheet under the primary shield my drive curcuit?

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: electromagnetic shielding components
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:39:21 -0700

Hi JT,

I would think that if the shield got too close to the primary, it would indeed rob too much power from the primary. Yet, it does sound like your drive needs some shielding. Maybe, you could relocate the drive away from the primary.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I currently have an ignition coil powered monopole tesla coil(nicely built).
It is run off a 12v, that goes into a 555 timer pulsing squarewave into a 2N3055. This in turn pusles 12v into an igntion coil. I have the whole igniton coil drive circuit, and the ignition coil in the base of my coil - just 4 inches below my primary coil. I noticed while connecting the battery, sparks of up to 1/2" in length jump to my hands( from the battery terminals). I know this isnt too bad for the drive circuit, because after a good 20 minutes of compiled use it still works. But, it cant be too good either.

I am wondering if placing a sheet of steel directly underneath the top of the base(above the top is the primary) will atleast hinder the electromagnet field reaching the drive circuit. Or, will this sheet just waste vital energy from the primary field?

In addition, will that steel or copper sheet mess up my counterpoise effect, that I have bolted to the base of my coil?

Any help would be appreciated, because the coil is so compact and beautiful-I want it to last longer. Thank you in advance.

The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes is here. Get all the scoop. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline2

Communicate instantly! Use your Hotmail address to sign into Windows Live Messenger now. http://get.live.com/messenger/overview