From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Electromagneticly shielding components( help )
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 22:50:35 -0700

Original poster: "Steve Ward" <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Sounds like the entire electronics unit is floating at HV (how is your
grounding?).  It shouldnt harm the electronics, since the whole thing
goes up and down by the same voltage (provided the inductance is small
throughout the circuit).

Its also possible that you are being charged capacitively from the
coil, and thus there is a large voltage between you and the ground.

Steve Ward

Original poster: "JT Bowles" <jasotb@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I currently have an ignition coil powered monopole tesla coil(nicely built).
It is run off a 12v, that goes into a 555 timer pulsing squarewave
into a 2N3055. This in turn pusles 12v into an igntion coil. I have
the whole igniton coil drive circuit, and the ignition coil in the
base of my coil - just 4 inches below my primary coil. I noticed
while connecting the battery, sparks of up to 1/2" in length jump to
my hands( from the battery terminals). I know this isnt too bad for
the drive circuit, because after a good 20 minutes of compiled use it
still works. But, it cant be too good either.

I am wondering if placing a sheet of steel directly underneath the
top of the base(above the top is the primary) will atleast hinder the
electromagnet field reaching the drive circuit. Or, will this sheet
just waste vital energy from the primary field?

In addition, will that steel or copper sheet mess up my counterpoise
effect, that I have bolted to the base of my coil?

Any help would be appreciated, because the coil is so compact and
beautiful-I want it to last longer. Thank you in advance.

Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series.  Who will win?
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001

Get live scores and news about your team: Add the Live.com Football Page www.live.com/?addtemplate=football&icid=T001MSN30A0701