Re: Weather/coil performance

Hi Jay,

Temp and humidity can cause a change in resonance, but not to such a drastic degree (in my experience). Because you retuned and found resonance near where you started, the cap is likely ok. Diminishing sparks as you described would point me towards the transformer. Check to make sure it didn't die. It sounds very familiar to an NST that shorted one of it's hv windings. Could have happened right when you turned off the coil before the weather change.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx

How do different types of weather effect coil performance? I ask because my coil was working fine last week when it was around 75 degrees. But the temp has now dropped to a nice normal 30.

I can get the spark size that the coil produced but only when the spark is going into a grounded object. As opposed to the operation last week when it would just discharge into the air. Not even a small spark into the air.

I am guessing the problem is either the temp or humidity because nothing else has changed since I last used it. Just been sitting on the table. I tried re-tuning it to see if that would help but it tuned at just about the same tap point. So i don't know.

Many Thanks

Jay Howson