Re: Flat coils & undamped waves (was Wire Length)

There may be one advantage in using flat spiral coils - they may have more self capacitance and hence allow a lower resonant frequency. But aside from that, I can't see any serious advantage
Mike"

As a general rule that self capacitance (probably quite small) will probably increase losses. Tesla describes coils wound with bifilar wire and mentions the increased capacitance as a virtue but I strongly suspect he never made (maybe couldn't have made) any quantitative tests. Certainly no one since has deliberately made coils with high self-capacitance.

Ed