Re: Flat coils & undamped waves (was Wire Length)

Nevertheless, deliberate augmentation of the resonator's internal capacity as a substitute for what might be called the 'external capacity' formed by the elevated terminal and its distant counterparts would be self defeating. To assert that this was Tesla's true intention is quite ridiculous.

Gary Peterson"

I don't know whether this was his intent or not - just quoting his patent verbatim. Since this was written a long time before his later statement I don't think there's any way to know what his real knowledge was at that time or how much he knew about the losses involved. For the record, I suspect he never employed this idea but simply applied for a patent when the thought struck him - that's certainly the case with a number of his other patents. Patents for patents sake?

I've just reread Leland Andersen's book on Tesla's later testimony and end up with the same impression as the first time I read it a number of years ago. It's really a tragic story about realization of opportunity lost and what "might have been". It seems to me in large part to be a lament about how others have been successful using "my ideas" and "my schemes". Lots of personal pronouns there and denunciations of successful people. As for the accuracy of his claims the only real evidence is in the fascinating photographs of stuff like his tuned wire receiver, his patents and his descriptions of some of his work are so vague as to be disconcerting. "If only" he had published more and made more public demonstrations. Clearly his priorities were elsewhere. I was again struck by his extreme vagueness about the actual frequencies used in many of the experiments (certainly not all) and find it hard to believe that he could have forgotten that much in the intervening years. The most pathetic single part is the inventory of Wardenclyffe which includes "one submarine boat". He was a very proud man so how it must have hurt him to see that taken by the foreclosure!!!!!!!!!!

There are several points raised in it which I'll detail in a later note as I'm interested in seeing how the rest of you feel about them.

Ed