From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Weather/coil performance
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 20:55:15 -0700

Hi,

I reside in an area with a relatively humid climate,
especially during the summer months (Memphis,
TN), but have still successfully utilized cardboard
"sonotube" for a large secondary coil form without
adverse effects from moisture. My original "Medusa"
Tesla coil used a 12" sonotube for the secondary
form and processed around 8 kVA from a 10 kVA
rated, 14.4 kV PDT. The coil length was only about
39" and I was able to get consistant 8 to 10 ft. sparks
from the complete coil. My "trick" was to allow the
tube to dry in the sun for several hours on a hot sunny
day and then start applying multiple coats of spar
varnish urethane to the naked form before winding any
wire on it. I kept applying coats of urethane until the
cardboard was completely impregnated with it. Then
I wound the wire on it and afterwards applied more
urethane coats over the wire until I could no longer feel
the ridges of the wire. I ran this coil for a few years
w/out a hitch and the only reason it is not now opera-
tional is because I dismantled it.

David Rieben