RE: Jonathon's 6" Coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 09:36:47 -0500
From: David Thomson <dwt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Jonathon's 6" Coil (fwd)

Hi Bart,

> Javatc uses derivations
> from Electrode geometry equations of the L.A.N.L. report
> "High-Power Microwave-Tube Transmitters, chapter 7, by William North"
> (the North Report). It's an enlightening readers who haven't
> yet studied this chapter:
> http://www.classictesla.com/download/north7.pdf

Thanks for that excellent paper.  This also applies to the variable
capacitance topload I'm presently building, and which I have encased in oil.
I can now better understand the need for oil on the third coil, which I have
empirically found to be necessary.  The oil causes the topload capacity to
maintain a uniform electric field strength, which reduces the corona.
Although spark coils want the uneven electric field to produce streamers, my
coil wants to minimize corona to develop the strongest and smoothest
possible electric field strength.  As I mentioned before, it is my belief
the electric field drives the longitudinal oscillation of electrons.

I have the adjustable third coil (capacitor) built and I'm putting together
the primary/secondary driver system.  It will be a week before my new
transformer and capacitor arrives, so I'll try it with the old transformers
and capacitors I have.  At a third less primary potential and four times the
primary capacitance I need, I'm not expecting much.

As for the spark gaps being discussed, my gaps are silver plated copper
electrodes with hemispheres mounted in the middle of a flat disc.  These
were taken from military surplus electrical contacts.  Do you think the
hemisphere center and flat disc background have advantages over pure spheres
or pure flat discs?

Dave