RE: For the coiler who has everything else? (fwd)...SMD (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 12:15:06 +0100
From: Colin Dancer <colind@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: For the coiler who has everything else? (fwd)...SMD (fwd)

<ARROGANCE ON>
Ha!  I laugh at your 0603 resistors!  No real challenge until you get to the
bits of dust which are 0402 resistors...
<ARROGANCE OFF>

Seriously, I absolutely agree with Bart that SMD can be a pig when you first
move from larger through hole components, but with the right tools and
techniques I think it is actually easier and quicker than with through hole
components (though a steady hand is an absolute must).

As Bart says, production boards are made using solder paste, but for
prototype work very fine cored solder (32AWG), a needle tip iron, a good set
of tweezers and a liquid no-clean flux pen is probably better.  A head
mounted magnifier and a good desk lamp are also very handy.

(Generous use of the liquid flux makes all the following processes go much
more smoothly.)

For resistors, flux both pads, tin one pad, correctly position the resistor
over the two pads using the tweezers, reheat the pretinned pad so that the
resistor sinks into the pad and the solder forms a meniscus at one end of
the resistor (while still holding the resistor in the tweezers), let go of
the now tacked down resistor, solder the other end with the iron and just a
touch of solder, come back and add a little more solder to the first end.

The above sounds involved and time consuming, but once you get the hang of
things it's really quick with no lead bending or trimming required.

For chips, same approach, but tack down opposite ends of the chip to ensure
everything is aligned correctly.

If you need to remove small components, a bit of fluxed copper braid with
some solder on allows you to heat both ends of the part at once without a
special tool, just slipping it off the pads.

Similarly when from time to time you blob together chip leads, a bit of
small gauge desoldering braid is a god send.

For chip removal, heat the pins one at a time and lift the lead with a
stainless steel fine pointer or scraper, though make sure the solder melts
before trying to lift or you can break the track.

In all of the above more no-clean flux is a good thing.

Hope that helps,

Colin.

P.S. Work on a large sheet of clean white paper so you can see the bits
you're working with.

P.P.S. If you drop a small unmarked SMD resistor or cap on the floor, don't
bother looking for it.  If you find something the right shape it will
probably turn out to be the different value part you dropped last month
rather than the one that just got away!