Re: Haller / Cunningham "The Tesla High Frequency Coil" (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 11:07:40 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Haller / Cunningham "The Tesla High Frequency Coil" (fwd)

Hi Jeff,

I found the gap kind of cool also. Seems to me the friction electrode on
the backside of the disc is not required. Just set the gap close but not
touching on the back side and let the main gap adjustment on the front
side handle the bulk of the gap spacing. That would at least prevent
friction noise and wear.

I've built an "all metal" rsg disc a long time ago. The disc had
cylinder electrodes attached about 1" length out from the disc. One
common problem I found is that if the firing voltage is high enough, the
gap would not quench as the arc actually creeped between electrodes
along the disc. If only 4 or 5 kV, it's probably ok. I was running a
pole pig at 14.4kV rms in my particular situation.

The wooden runners can be troubling (turn of the century look and feel
however). I once had access to 100's of 1/2" diameter glass rods about
30" length. They were used as corona wire support (erase rods) for those
1/2 million dollar check printing systems and the rods were priced about
$400 each. Very special glass composition with very tight tolerance (the
diameter of the rod along it's length as this was key to ion deposition
drum erasing. Unfortunately, I wasn't into coiling back then, so they
were just garbage to me at the time.

Take care,
Bart