Re: brass or tungsten (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 15:35:02 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: brass or tungsten (fwd)

Scott, Frank,

I would say that tungsten is far superior as a SG electrode material to
brass or especially zinc. BTW, I'm not quite sure why one would sug-
gest zinc for this purpose, unless it's strickly economical reasons, as zinc
has a considerably lower meltiong point (420C) than brass (900 - 940C
depending on the particular alloy) or copper (1085C). It seems that the
electrode erosion experienced with brass would only worsen with zinc.
Also, I believe zinc will oxidize quite readily when exposed to SG heat.
Tungsten has the highest melting point of any know metal (3422C), is
quite resitant to corrosion and/or oxidation and tungsten's thermal and
electrical conductivity is not that bad either. Actually, tungsten's electrical
conductivity is better than zinc or brass, per Wikipedia.

David Rieben