Re: Ignition Coils (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:28:23 -0700
From: Ed Phillips <evp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Ignition Coils (fwd)

The capacitor and light dimmer approach to running from 120 VAC is the
way to go - almost no work and does a good job if you keep the capacitor
to a reasonable size.  I've used as much as 6 ufd but felt that was
kinda high.  Problem with this simple circuit is that the pulses of
current come directly from the AC line so that there will be lots of RF
interference generated.  Putting a 20 ufd or greater across the line
reduces those glitches at the expense of a lot of reactive current and
switching transients when connecting to the line.

As for the Accel Supercoil, I haven't had too much luck with it charging
primary capacitors much larger than 0.0022 ufd.  I did build one TC
using the Accel running from a 12 volt IGBT interruptor and an 0.0047
ufd primary capacitor but that seemed too large.  I was able to get 4"
arcs from the little top toroid when I brought a screwdriver near it but
no real breakout streamers more than about 1-1/2" when I used a
thumbtack as a breakout point.  This was running about 30 watts input at
around 200 Hz as I recall.

Ed