One-shot coil? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:45:16 -0400
From: "Breneman, Chris" <brenemanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: One-shot coil?

Hello,

I had a quick idea about a kind of Tesla coil that I'm sure has been tried
and discussed, but I'm not sure what the result would be.  What kind of
sparks would you get from a coil that's essentially a DC coil without
limiting resistor/inductor, without smoothing capacitor, and with a manual
switch in place of a rotary spark gap?  I know you'd only get a single
spark, but if the tank capacitor had a high capacitance, would it be
possible to get pretty long sparks out of it?  I've read a lot about spark
length involving sparks extending an existing ionized path, but is this
effect involved between cycles of the spark gap firing (50 or 60Hz) or
cycles of the resonant waveform?

Thanks,
Chris