Re: Hello again / New MOT coil (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:45:18 -0400
From: Jason Johnson <jasonmsusolar@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hello again / New MOT coil (fwd)

Scott,

Thanks for the compliment, I took my time on this one! The machining for
this coil was really minimal, the only things I machined were the copper
block connections and the arbor for the rotary. Even though I did this stuff
with a vertical mill and a lathe, it could have been accomplished with a
standard power drill. The cabinet and related woodwork was constructed
entirely with my plunge router in my apartment living room (not sure how
well the neighbors liked this).

As for the sparks - they will get bigger as soon as I throw a bigger
secondary coil and topload on there. I designed the coil to process about 2
kW at max power. This translates to about 6 feet of spark, if I get
everything just right. About 5 years ago, I topped out a coil with 2 MOTs at
78" point-to-point sparks, repeatable.

Jason