Re: Measuring HV capacitor voltage (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:46:01 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Measuring HV capacitor voltage (fwd)

Hi Adam,

No, actually I am going to be charging them with the "dry" core
of a 125 kVp, 500 mA transformer, removed from its tank
of oil, through a 120/140 volt variac. Since the HV output
of this x-ray transformer, like most of them, is center tapped
to its grounded core, just like an NST on steroids, I simply
run the two "hot" HV output leads to the rectifiers facing the
same way and use the ground the return, so I get full wave
rectification but at only half of the rated output voltage of the
transformer. That still gives me access to more than enough
voltage to charge the caps, to charge them in a timely manner.
Of course, careful metering of the voltage at the capacitors' ter-
minals is of paramount importance to insure against overvolting them.
Also, since I will never be pushing the x-ray transformer to even
half of its rated output voltage, it won't matter that it's no longer
submerged in oil.

David Rieben