Re: 1/4 wave TC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:25:30 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: !/4 wave TC (fwd)

Hi Skip,

Cool! Good experiment. Sure, it will produce a spark. They all will. The
1/4 wave assignment won't be necessary but still there's nothing wrong
with building it. Something to consider is that every turn on the coil
is a capacitive addition to the over all loading (turn to turn
capacitance). It's easy to burn up the top winding without a load, so
maybe the last few turns of your conical you can a larger wire diameter
spaced out to prevent the close turns from a turn to turn short (imagine
a 3 turn 1/8" bare wire) which the sparks would not hurt. It's a bit of
a load but still part of the coil winding.

Take care,
Bart