Re: 1/4 wave TC (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 08:48:53 -0400
From: Dave Pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 1/4 wave TC (fwd)

>>A long time ago I saw the Corums use a wavguide that was 1/4 wave long
>>as a Tesla Coil.  It worked.
    That i did not see.  I did hear them describe a student exercise,
    using 160MHz(ish) and a 1/4 wave whip, as "CW Tesla coil", with 'intense
    discharge' from top.  Described in one of th olde Tesla Con proceedings,
    which I have, buried somewhere.

>> It had no termination and it produced a discharge.
>> Why not a TC with no top load?
    Depends on the purpose.
    Indications are that a 'working' Tesla Tesla coil would NOT have
    'spit sparks', but used a big enough top load that no breakout
    would occur.  (Having said that, spoilsport disclaimer:  I remain
    unconvinced that such a coil would be useful for what Tesla
    seemed to be intending.)

    My reading of the 'must use top load' advice was that this makes things
    a lot more predictable/controllable.

>	What was the wavelength the Corums used, what was the power, and
>where and and how big was the arc?  As for a TC without top load, we all
>have built them at one time or another - haven't you?  Of course, if one's
>objective is long stramers, coils with top loads of some sort or another
>work much better.
    My understanding is that streamer length will increase with increasing
    top load radius, up to some limit, depending on temp/humidity, etc,
    varying with coil tuning/retuning.

    'all' this follows well established electrical 'rules'.

    best
     dwp